Monday, April 5, 2010

Volcanos!

Today I was thinking about volcanos I have been to over the years. Some I have been closer to than others such as Vulcan Poas in Costa Rica, which is pictured below looking into the steaming crater.
Others I have been near enough to "be on them" but they are so large that I am only on their massive slopes such as Mt. Kenya pictured below. As you can see at the margins of the photo that the slopes go out quite a great distance on the sides. This is the same with Mt. Kilimanjaro.
This is a volcano that I live near and will try to visit more closely in the upcoming years, it is Mt. Rainier in Washington State. The mountain is seen here from the water of Puget Sound looking over Alki in West Seattle. This is looking up at one of the three peaks of Mt. Pichincha in Ecuador. this is a potentially dangerous active volcano as it is located directly above and adjacent to the capital, Quito. This is one of the tallest mountains I have seen and is probably the highest elevation I have been to. The mountain is about 15,600 feet tall and I am about 13500 feet up it.
Here are the two tallest volcanos I have ever seen, in fact they are the two tallest mountains I have ever seen as well. I have pictures of them but they are so difficult to see due to the clouds I chose these photos in stead. Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is 19341 feet high and along with Cotopaxi Volcano in Ecuador at 19347 feet tall are two examples of equatorial glaciers. The glaciers and snow cap on Kilimanjaro have been prominent examples of global warming as they recede rapidly.

No comments:

Post a Comment