Thursday, May 20, 2010

Looney Tunes

Today I read part of an article in the New York Times about the Looney Tunes returning. The author Brooks Barnes begins with this - "Ask a first grader to identify Bugs Bunny and the response more likely than not will be a blank stare. Dora, sure. Mickey, alive and kicking. But Porky who?"

This seems strange to me as I wear Looney Tunes ties to work fairly often so I wouldn't even think that this would be missing completely from the popular culture of kids these days. Apparently they are coming back to Cartoon Network and live on the same street as neighbors. I read a different article today as well about this. That article had too much information in it but it was still informative and some great old video of the characters.


Apparently they were never intended to be together in cartoons rather than only 2-3 characters in a given cartoon because it would be too complicated. Also they said Tiny Tunes were written to be at the same school rather than the original characters who weren't written to be together at all. Honestly, I won't watch the new Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network but I am more intrigued knowing more about the original cartoons. It also makes me wonder about other cartoons like the Hanna-Barbera ones or even the Disney Afternoon ones like Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales and others...

No comments:

Post a Comment