Friday, May 7, 2010

Ngorongoro

Hello, today I am posting with pictures and brief information about the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. I have started a third blog called Enviro-Sustain and I added a picture to the heading of that blog that I took in the Ngorongoro Crater in 2007. That same picture is here below as well.The crater is the unflooded cladera that was formed after a volcanic eruption 2-3 million years ago. The picture below is looking down into the crater from the rim. It is so large that it is difficult to tell that it is an enclosed crater. I have seen estimates that range between 25000 and 30000 large mammals that reside within the crater. This includes all of the African Big Five, of which I saw four (not Leopard) while in the crater including a pride of lions who laid down in the shade of our Land Cruiser essentially keeping us from going anywhere for quite some time. Here is a link to the best picture to see the entire crater.

No comments:

Post a Comment