Monday, October 4, 2010

Largest Islands

Last week I was reading about disappearing islands, mostly small, low-lying atolls in the Pacific and Indian oceans. This just literally popped into my head today and somehow I turned it around and decided to post abou the largest islands in the world, none of which are remotely in danger of being submerged! Don't ask me how or why that idea became what it is, it just did!

So here is the list:
#1 - Greenland (highlighted in the map above)
#2 - New Guinea
#3 - Borneo
#4 - Madagascar
#5 - Baffin Island
#6 - Sumatra
#7 - Honshu
#8 - Victoria Island
#9 - Great Britain
#10 - Ellesmere Island

I have only been to one of these islands, Great Britain, and I have been there a few times. The next largest island I have been to is Tasmania off the southern coast of Australia. Tasmania comes in as the 26th largest island.

It may be important to note that I didn't count continents, such as Australia or Antarctica, though those would both be much larger than Greenland. I chose not to include them as this dictionary definition excludes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment