Sunday, February 28, 2010

To be profound or not to be? World Heritage Sites

I had someone ask me recently how many UNESCO World Heritage Sites I had been to . It was pretty handy that I already had a list made that I began a few years ago. Today I was thinking briefly about some of the places I have been and some of the places I want to go and how they compare to some of the sites which have attained the titular significance or being a World Heritage Site.

Here is my list of World Heritage Sites I have visited:
Fuerte De Samaipata (Bolivia)
Mesa Verde National Park
Mammoth Cave National Park
Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks
Waterton/Glacier National Park
La Fortaleza & San Juan National Historical Site (Puerto Rico)
Grand Canyon National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Egyptian Pyramid Fields (Egypt)
Ancient Thebes and its Necropolis (Egypt)
Memphis and its Necropolis (Egypt)
Nubian Monuments (Egypt)
Old Cairo (Egypt)
Aksum (Ethiopia)
Lalibela Rock Hewn Churches (Ethiopia)
Gonder (Ethiopia)
Mt. Kenya
Lake Malawi
Robben Island (South Africa)
Cape Floral Region (South Africa)
Zanzibar/Stone Town (Tanzania)
Ngorongoro Crater (Tanzania)
Serengeti Plain (Tanzania)
Selous Game Reserve (Tanzania)
Virunga National Park (Rwanda)
Westminster Abbey (England)
Westminster Palace (England)
Tower of London (England)
Victoria Falls (Zambia/Zimbabwe)
City of Quito (Ecuador)
Jebel Barkal (Meroite Pyramids in Sudan)
Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens (Melbourne, Australia)
Sydney Opera House
Old Town and New Town Edinburgh (Scotland)
Historic Center of Macau (Macau/China)

There are a number of notable omissions that I have been within a few miles or less from but since I did not visit them I have left them off. One prominent future site to visit is Olympic National Park here in Washington.

I am always interested in learning where others have been and where I could go in the future so if you have been to any UNESCO World Heritage Sites I would like to hear about them.

p.s. no pictures today :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment