Monday, September 13, 2010

White Nile Rafting

For Rafting Week, as I introduced it on Friday, I would like to begin with whitewater rafting on the White Nile in Uganda. This is the only place I have been rafting but I would definitely like to do it again in a number of locations around the world if I get the chance.

Here is a description I found on a website that operates rafting trips on the White Nile near Jinja, Uganda:
"Warm water, massive waves, beautiful scenery, and year round sunshine characterizes White Nile River Rafting on the White Nile. Challenge the legendary 'Overtime' (a 4.5 meter waterfall) and drop into 'The Bad Place' probably the largest commercial rafted hole in the world. Drift quietly in the calm pools between the rapids and marvel at the abundant birdlife.Raft the Source of the Nile! The legendary White Nile offers some of the best White Water rafting in the world."

The video below is relatively representative of my experience. Flipping the raft is much less common than this video might lead you to believe but our raft flipped twice and even the safety raft flipped once.


No comments:

Post a Comment