Thursday, September 16, 2010

Zambezi Rafting

Rafting the Zambezi River on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia is a great adventure that I was unable to do when I was there as the water level had risen too high for rafting.
Here is a brief description I found on a site offering rafting trips on the Zambezi:

"White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River in Victoria Falls has been classified by the British Canoe Union as Grade 5 - "extremely difficult, long and violent rapids, steep gradients, big drops and pressure areas". This is a high volume, pool-drop river with little exposed rock either in the rapids or in the pools below the rapids."

The rafting begins below the fantastic Victoria Falls and continues through Batoka Gorge, which has been formed by Victoria Falls as the falls have moved westward along weakspots in the rock. Below is the put-in for Zambezi rafting with Victoria Falls in the background!
Someday, when I return to Africa I will try to plan my trip around the low water season at Vic Falls since I have seen the high-water time and that way I can also raft the river!.

No comments:

Post a Comment