Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Equator!!!

The Equator is marked by the latitude of 0 degrees and circles the globe. This imaginary line crosses 11 countries and 3 oceans. I have crossed it 12 times in my life. The first time that I crossed the equator I was 16 and was going to play soccer in Bolivia in 1996. The most recent time I crossed the equator was when I returned from Australia in 2007. I have crossed by air and by land but not by sea. Here are a few pictures from some of my adventures crossing.
This is a picture of Quito, the capital of Equador only about 5-10 miles or so south of the equator. I am on Mt. Pichincha, a 16000 foot tall active volcano where I took this picture. Those are more of the Andes mountains in the background.
This is a picture of the sign in Kenya at the equator the first time I crossed it in Africa and the first time I crossed it on land. I am taking the picture from where my GPS unit said the equator was, I am still unsure which is more correct, the sign or my super awesome GPS!
This is the equator in Uganda, I crossed at this place going south first and then again going north for two of my crossings.
This is a picture of the farthest south in the world I have been and therefore the farthest from the equator in that direction. This is a picture of waterfront of Hobart, Tasmania in Australia. Mt. Wellington is in the background.
Since I did the south, I must do the north as well. This is a picture of the place farthest north I have ever been, Isle of Skye in Scotland. In truth, I have a picture of Duntulm Castle at the northernmost tip of the Isle of Skye, which is the actual furthest north I have been but it doesn't do the justice to this beautiful place as this picture does.

No comments:

Post a Comment