Thursday, March 25, 2010

Penguins

Since there was no post yesterday I think there will be two today. First I will start with penguins. I have visited penguin colonies on 2 of the 4 continents that penguins live in the wild. I visited the penguins at Boulders Beach just south of Cape Town, South Africa twice in 2007. Here is a picture of the Boulders Beach with the penguins in their area.
These are the African Penguins, which used to be called Jackass Penguins and are also called Black-footed penguins. Here is a closer picture of them with chicks.

The other time I visited penguins was when I was in Melbourne, Australia. There the smallest variety of penguin lives, they are appropriately named Little Penguins and they grow to only about 16 inches tall. Here is a blurry picture of my own, I am proud of the picture even though it is blurry. There are less blurry pictures of them here.

A couple of weeks ago I also read an interesting article about an all black penguin. Here is the picture of the mutant "one in a zillion" all-black Emporor Penguin.


Penguins are "cool birds" right?

1 comment:

  1. Jed! Just because he is a mutation of a breed doesn't make him a mutant!
    He's just as beautiful as the other penguins!

    ReplyDelete