Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Like Bridges!

I know my posts are random but I write about what i feel and think at a given moment. Today I want to share that I like bridges! Monday-Friday I cross a bridge I consider cool, the George Washington Memorial Bridge (Aurora Bridge) and is over 2900 feet long. It houses a troll under the northern termination and was the final link in the Pacific Highway from Canada to Mexico when it was completed in 1932.

Other cool bridges I have seen or been over are below:

Tsing Ma Bridge in Hong Kong is the longest bridge I have crossed. The main span is over 4500 feet long and it is the longest suspension bridge in the world that carries rail and car traffic. It is the 7th longest suspension bridge in the world.
The Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland is marvel of the 1800s as it was one of the first major structures to be built wit steel. I have crossed the Forth Road bridge near this and seen the rail bridge and it is very cool! It's total length is over 8200 feet and it opened in 1890.
Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado was the highest suspension bridge in the world for over 70 years at 1053 feet above the Arkansas River.
Hoover Dam, but wait is this a dam or a bridge, you ask? I argue both as it is how you cross the Colorado River at a height of over 700 feet above the river below but it is also very obvious that it is a dam too!
Victoria Falls Bridge between Zimbabwe and Zambia is in a stunning location and opened in 1905. The first time I crossed this bridge was by foot but I have also crossed twice by truck too. Sydney Harbor Bridge is in Sydney, Australia and for a picture of that you will need to look at the post from last Saturday. I have walked across this bridge and been to the top of one of the pylons at nearly 300 feet high.

No comments:

Post a Comment